Subject: Botanical Greetings
Supplies: See Below
Recommended Time: 30 – 45 Minutes
Materials You Will Need:
- Pen or marker
- Plain cardstock or plain paper
- X-Acto knife, scissors or tape
- A nature specimen such as a flower, twig, leaf, etc.
Calligraphy is the art of beautiful handwriting. The word is derived from the ancient Greek word, kalligraphia = kallos (beauty) + graphein (to write). Before the printing press was invented, books and documents were written by hand using various forms of calligraphy.
Calligraphy scripts are diverse and can be practiced using a range of writing instruments. This lesson will demonstrate a few decorative handwriting strokes using a basic pen and a broad tip marker.
Other words to know:
- Botanical—Relating to plants; a plant specimen
- Flourish – An ornamental, flowing curve in handwriting
- Nib— The pointed end of a pen, which distributes ink on the writing surface
Make your own botanical greeting cards using the techniques demonstrated in the following videos.