Employment at Ambleside
We accept applications throughout the school year. The online application is below for your convenience.
If you become an Ambleside teacher, you embark on a unique journey. You won’t be spending your evenings correcting endless worksheets or your days doling out stickers or demerits to apathetic children, or your time bucking up against an uncaring bureaucracy. Instead, you will be training children in habits that will support them for their whole lives, and you will be facilitating their meeting with rich texts and life-giving ideas. You will be a fellow-learner, but one who demonstrates gentle authority as you mentor young people into a love of learning.
If you have an active, daily commitment to Jesus Christ and share His heart for children, if you have a love for learning and reading, if you have experience with children submitting willingly to your leadership, and a growing passion for the Ambleside philosophy, we would love to hear from you.
Experience in the classroom, teacher’s certification and a major in an academic subject from a liberal arts program is preferred. A Bachelor’s Degree is required.
Core Elements for Ambleside Teachers
Ambleside School mission statement for its teachers:
Relying on God’s grace and motivated by His love, the mission of each Ambleside teacher is to be an optimal instrument of student growth, in relation to God, self, others, ideas, creation, and work. This mission implies continued personal and professional growth on the part of teachers and the consistent application of the Charlotte Mason/Ambleside Method.
The short form of the “Ambleside Teacher’s Mission” is: By God’s grace to grow and to be an instrument of growth.
Ambleside teachers are held to the high standards of Biblical leadership as seen in the person of Christ, and are accountable to live and model an authentic relationship with Jesus Christ. They engage in Christ-like relationships as they prepare students to pursue excellence in character, academics and spiritual development, and enable them to enjoy a full, rich life as they follow Christ.
Ambleside teachers create a classroom environment and practice consistent with the philosophy and methods taught by Charlotte Mason. They pursue being part of a learning community that includes other staff, students, and parents. Required qualifications for teachers are grouped into four key areas:
- A committed believer in Jesus Christ with evidence of a growing relationship with Him.
- Committed to the mission and vision of Ambleside School of Colorado.
- Exemplary in conduct.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Certification desirable.
- Committed to being trained and mentored and pursuing mastery of the Ambleside Method.
- All life experience will be considered as appropriate and applicable.
- Experience with teaching children at a school or at home is highly desirable.
Skills and Abilities
- A desire to understand and implement Charlotte Mason’s philosophy and methods.
- A desire to continue learning.
- Love for children, and the ability to act as one under authority as you exercise gentle authority.
- Emotional and spiritual health and stability.
- Social skills to communicate with students, parents, staff, and leadership.
- A spiritual, moral and ethical character that can be borne out via references and ongoing life choices.
- Flexibility and openness to adjust to the change inherent in a young school.
- Other specific job descriptions will apply depending on the position being considered.
To apply for a position at Ambleside School, please fill out the online employment application below. You can also download a PDF of the Employment Application to email, fax or mail to: download the employment application.
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY: Ambleside School admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. Ambleside School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, hiring policies, scholarship and financial aid programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs.
Please note: Online applications cannot be partially saved, please complete the entire application and then submit. Thank you!
“Children’s lessons should provide material for their mental growth, should exercise the several powers of their minds, should furnish them with fruitful ideas, and should afford them knowledge, really valuable for its own sake, accurate, and interesting, of the kind that the child may recall as a man with profit and pleasure.”